Wednesday… Year 2, Month 12, Day 1 of this Writing in Public challenge.
Day 1 of the STORIES FROM JULY challenge.
As I warned, this is the first post of a change in structure because of this short story challenge. I am just going to go through the day, talking about the day as it concerns writing and the challenge.
The challenge is to write a short story every day for the month of July and put them all in one massive book, along with these blogs about the writing of the stories.
The day started around 1 p.m. and by 2:30 I had done some e-mail and some planning with Kris and was headed out to run errands. Snail mail, then the WMG Publishing store where I got help to load a poker table I had bought this last Saturday at the auction.
Amazing table. Then back to WMG offices to make a place for it and by 5:30 the table was in its new home.
At this point it had not occurred to me to even think about writing yet.
I got some lunch, then at 6:30 p.m. I went to work getting my title sheets together. First I had thought of writing all day. I will explain below in the topic section what title sheets are and how I generate them. I like starting stories from titles.
Home for a nap, dinner, then back at 9 p.m. to the WMG offices where I worked on some workshop stuff and also sorting collectables.
Home by 11 p.m. when I actually thought of doing some writing, but didn’t get started because I got into a planning session with Kris until 12:30 a.m.
So at this point I had been up for almost 12 hours and really hadn’t given writing a story for the challenge much more than a few thoughts. Day one… oh, oh…
When I finally made it into my writing office, I sat down and stared at my title sheets I had done up (I need to make more) and came up with “Dead Lady” that was half of a title of a story in Galaxy Magazine in the 1960s. I kept staring at other halves of titles, but nothing stuck with “Dead Lady” until I heard myself think “Dead Lady Blues.”
I instantly knew it was a story with my strange private eye named Pilgrim Hugh. I have written about three or four stories with him, so I needed more for a collection. A perfect way to start I figured.
So I typed in the title:
The Case of the Dead Lady Blues: A Pilgrim Hugh Incident and started typing.
I managed 500 words by 1:30 a.m. before going to watch some television. By 2:30 a.m. I was back writing.
From 2:30 a.m. until 3:15 I did just over 1,000 words.
Short break, back writing at 3:20 until 4:10 a.m. for another 1,100 words.
Short break, back at 4:15 a.m. and by 5 a.m. I had finished the story at 3,700 words.
TOPIC OF THE NIGHT: Title Generator
Some of you know that I have a massive digest magazine collection. I am pretty certain that I have every science fiction, fantasy, and mystery digest from the start of digests in the 1930s until the turn of the century. Full runs of everything up until 2000.
And I have a ton of duplicates that at some point I will be selling.
So I take ten copies of a run of digests from some random decade and start looking at titles.
If a title strikes me, or a phrase in a title strikes me, I write down half the title. Never the full title, unless it is a single word I think is cool.
Then I take ten issues of another magazine from a different decade and do the same thing down another column. This afternoon I did that with a few issues of Ellery Queen from the 1940s, Galaxy from the 1960s, Original Science Fiction from the 1950s, and F&SF from the 1980s. Got two sheets of half titles.
So that’s what I will be using when I say I smashed two half titles together from my title generator. Chances are I will make more pages of half-titles before this challenge is done.
STORIES FROM JULY
(Story #0… June 30th… The Library of Atlantis…. 4,000 words.)
Story #1… July 1… The Case of the Dead Lady Blues… 3,700 words
Story #2… July 2…
Story #3… July 3…
Totals For Year 2, Month 12, Day 1 (month totals start over)
— Daily Fiction: 3,700 original words. Fiction month-to-date: 3,700 words
— Nonfiction: 00 new words. Nonfiction month-to-date total: 00 words
— Blog Posts: 700 new words. Blog month-to-date word count: 700 words
— E-mail: 12 e-mails. Approx. 400 original words. E-mails month-to date: 12 e-mails. Approx. 400 words
— Covers Designed and Finished: 0. Covers finished month-to-date: 0 Covers
You can support this ongoing blog at Patreon on a monthly basis. Not per post. Just click on the Patreon image. Extra stuff for different levels of support and I will be adding in more as time goes on. Thanks for your support.
Or you can just toss a tip into the tip jar with a single donation at PayPal. Either way, your support keeps me going at these crazy posts.